Be sure to add the email address ‘email@example.com’ to your address book otherwise there is a chance that our updates will be sent to the spam folder.
ONCE I’VE DECIDED THIS PROGRAM IS FOR ME, HOW DO I SIGN UP?
The first step is to apply for a retreat. Please provide as much detail as possible in your application. Rushed applications will likely be returned. Once your application is approved, you will be added to our waitlist. We will send out periodic updates when we have spots available for a retreat. Please, be patient as we have a long waiting list. Please note that even if your application is approved, we require that you pass an intake screening and a medical screening in order to be eligible for a retreat.
HOW DOES THE WAITLIST WORK?
A few times per year, we will send out an Open Enrollment Announcement Email to the entire waitlist, which outlines specific eligibility requirements and retreat details. Among the pool of applicants who respond with interest, we will select participants based on our team’s assessment of the applications. Once selected applicants pass an intake screening and a medical screening, they will be offered spots on the retreat.
WHAT FACTORS DO YOU USE TO SELECT APPLICANTS FOR SPECIFIC RETREATS?
We take several factors into account when selecting applicants from the waitlist who show interest in a specific retreat:
- Retreat-specific eligibility criteria (select retreats may focus on a specific issue such as Traumatic Brain Injury, or a specific group such as an all-female retreat)
- The needs of each veteran in question
- The amount of time each veteran has been on the waitlist
- The veteran’s ability to cover some of the expenses
- Current and active passport with at least 6 months viability
**Please note, if you’re able to cover all of your expenses, we may be able to fast-track your application**.
WHAT CAN I EXPECT FROM THE VETERAN APPLICATION PROCESS?
Please be patient and do not expect an immediate response. Generally speaking, we will not send updates to approved applicants until we have a specific retreat that is available. If we see applications with very little information, we may send them back and ask the applicant for more information.
The process itself includes:
- Application approval
- Expressed interest in a specific retreat
- Intake Screening
- Medical Screening
- Enrollment Process: sign legal documents, submit passport and DD214
WHO IS MOST LIKELY TO BE APPROVED FOR A RETREAT?
Due to the high volume of applications, we are currently only working with veterans who can trace a major part of their trauma to their time in service (combat trauma or Military Sexual Trauma).
We also look for veterans who have already put effort towards other healing modalities such as therapy, coaching, mindfulness, etc. Motivation to “do the work” and take ownership of your healing process are crucial in order for psychedelic programs to be successful.
Applicants on antidepressants or anti-anxiety medications must be able to work with a trained medical professional to wean off of these substances 4-6 weeks before the retreat date. Some SSRIs may require an 8 week tapering schedule. We do not provide medical advice and require that you work with your medical provider to determine whether weaning off of medication is appropriate for you.
WHAT WOULD MAKE ME INELIGIBLE FOR A RETREAT?
- Severe heart conditions
- Personal/family history of psychosis
- An inability to wean off of antidepressants or antianxiety medications 4-6 weeks in advance
- Recent participation in another psychedelic retreat or the intention to participate in another retreat within six months before or after the HHP retreat.
- Unwillingness to abstain from the use of heroic doses” of psychedelics, wether on a therapeutic retreat or not.
- Unwillingness to follow the preparation diet (which includes cutting out red meat, dairy, processed foods, any foreign chemicals, recreational drugs, social media, and sex)
- Veterans experiencing extreme crisis or suicidal thoughts may be asked to stabilize using other resources prior to undergoing a psychedelic program
IS THERE A COST TO PARTICIPATE IN A RETREAT?
We ask each participant to contribute what they can to their retreat and travel costs, since it costs us roughly $5000 to cover program costs for one veteran. Generally, we recommend contributing an amount that demonstrates an investment in the process but that doesn’t cause financial hardship. For many participants, this means covering travel costs to and from the retreat.
Once you’re approved and begin the enrollment process for a retreat, the Veteran Experience Manager will inform you of our suggested minimum contribution and will work with you to ensure that finances are not a barrier to your participation in our program. We appreciate you contributing what you reasonably can.
CAN I REMAIN ANONYMOUS?
We do work with participants who wish to remain anonymous and do not publicly share information about retreat participation or outcomes without consent.our name or likeness in any public facing communications.